Thursday 22 January 2015

Our New Food Journey

Luke and I LOVE food. I think one of my dream jobs would be like Julianne from My Best Friend's Wedding - the VIP that has the kitchen busting out something especially delicious for me in order for their restaurant to get a good review! I could totally be a food critic!

I am very fortunate that Luke will eat pretty much everything. Except fish, much to my dismay. But other than seafood, I can put anything in front of him, and he'll try it! We love being adventurous together, and food is one of our favourite adventures!

Earlier this year I discovered this blog : The 52 New Foods Challenge. Basically, this family tried a new food every single week for a year. What a great idea! We love food, we love trying new things, let's put them together!

A new food every week seemed a little overwhelming to me, so instead, we decided to just try one new food every month. That way, we can try 3 or 4 different recipes with that food so we can really get a feel for it and decide if we like it or not!

I thought I would share our journey with you to maybe challenge or inspire you!

Persimmons.




Persimmons come in two main kinds. Our local grocery store supplies Fuyu persimmons, so that's the kind I used in all of my recipes. It looks like a small tomato, it's orange in colour, and it has a subtly sweet flavour. They're also super healthy! High in fibre, high in anti-oxidants, and tons of vitamins and minerals. Delish!!

We've tried persimmons 5 different ways - eating them raw and topping some yogurt with them, in a smoothie, in some grilled cheese, in a salsa, and finally in some jam.

Ok. We are big fans of persimmons!!!

Eating them raw, mixing them in some yogurt, or tossing them in a smoothie are all super easy and super tasty ways to eat persimmons.

Last summer I made my first "sugar free, pectin free, chia seed jam" recipe with blueberries and I will never go back! This was also a chia seed jam using blackberries, persimmons, fresh squeezed orange juice, and a little honey to sweeten. Delicious on some toast or spread over pancakes! I would even top vanilla ice cream with it! 




Probably my favourite recipe for the persimmons was as a salsa side dish. Some black beans, avocado, mango, and persimmons tossed with olive oil, fresh squeezed lime juice, cumin, and chili powder. Chopping the fruit in thick cubes makes for a simple, tasty side dish, or chopping them smaller would be good for dipping tortilla chips in. 

Luke's favourite was the grilled cheese.  This was a little more work, but totally worth it! We used brie because it gave a nice subtle flavour with tons of melty cheesiness, some prosciutto for a little salt, a little spicy brown mustard and some nice thick slices of raw persimmon. Great flavour combo!




We are excited to try lots of new foods this year! Next up - Spaghetti Squash!


No comments:

Post a Comment