Wednesday 28 November 2012

My New Ministry

I believe that every Christian is involved in ministry - no matter what age or what is going on in their lives, there is a ministry that they are called to. For me, it was always relational - from helping to lead Bible studies for "churched girls" to co-leading an outreach club for "unchurched girls" - this was where I belonged and I loved it! Now that I have moved to a new city in a new country and started attending a new church, I deeply miss these ministries. I almost feel like I haven't even been "involved" in anything for a couple months now. But that could not be further from the truth.

I have been called to one of the most beautiful, most challenging, and most rewarding ministries of all - being a wife.

My mom gave me a little book of prayers a couple months before the wedding. I strive to wake up early with Luke (6:30am does NOT come easy to me, and I have to admit I have failed in this area more than I thought I would). But I know this is a valuable time for me and even more so for him. I know that when I make the effort to get up early with him and pray over him with one of the prayers in this book, it is so much more intimate than waking up after he's gone and reading the prayer aloud to myself. Less intimate, and thus I can't help but feel, less effective.

Getting up early to spend time with him. As Luke's wife, this is my new ministry.

Right now, Luke's job is very high stress in addition to long hours. We were hoping he would be able to switch positions before we got married, but God has other plans for us. Luke asked me the other day if I prayed for him while he was at work. I had to tell him (a little ashamed of myself) that I pray for him in the morning, but not throughout the day, and I realized that somehow I had thought that once a day was enough! Luke faces an enormous amount of battles at work - frustration, impatience, anxiety - things that are impossible to overcome without God.

Covering him with prayer all day, every day. As Luke's wife, this is my new ministry.

Unpacking. I literally shudder at the thought. There are still so many stinkin boxes in our house!! I currently have two baskets filled with clean laundry that I have no where to put because I'm having a hard time trying to organize what little closet space we have. I've been slowly but surely working on this, but I know I need to step it up. I don't like that Luke has to come home to boxes and piles of laundry (albeit clean laundry!) after a long day at work. I know that this is the place we are in right now, and I count it as a blessing that we have clean clothes and a new washer and dryer for the dirty ones! But I am so looking forward to finally being "settled"! :)

Creating a place of rest and a haven for him to come home to. As Luke's wife, this is my new ministry.

I know that women have been home-making for centuries and many excel and many do not. The home-maker role is very new to me and one of my deepest desires is to serve Luke (and by doing so, also serve God) WELL. As I continue to go through this learning process, I will choose to "count it all joy"!

Thank you God for entrusting me with this ministry!

1 comment:

  1. You've ministered to me today as well Alyssa. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete