Sunday 5 January 2014

In So Many Words

Well, it seems I haven't officially blogged for about six months. I'm hoping to change that. Oi. 

As December drifts away and a brand new year rings in I always look forward to hearing the "One Little Word" that God has chosen for those around me. God has chosen. Don't get it wrong - you have nothing to do with it! The Holy Spirit is the one who leads us to The Word and He is also the one who will lead you to your word. 

My word is always revealed to me through God's Word.

In 2011 it was ABOUND. "And this is my prayer: that your love may ABOUND more and more in knowledge and depth of insight." Phil. 1:9

In 2012 it was BELOVED. "I am my BELOVED's and he is mine." SOS 6:3

In 2013 it was NOURISH. "Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil. This will bring health to your body and NOURISHment to your bones." Prov. 3:7-8

Typically, the word that speaks to me appears directly in the Word. It surprised me that this year God and I formed a single word based on a handful of His Words. So that His Word could become my word…. in not so many words. 

The Scripture that stood out to me in December is found at the end of Galatians. I haven't done a whole lot of studying in the book of Galatians, but I know that Paul talks to the churches about getting swept up in legalism. There was a Jewish-turned-Christian culture in Galatia that was a little confused and Paul speaks out against them in this book. 

"Those who want to make a good impression outwardly are trying to compel you to be circumcised. The only reason they do this is to avoid being persecuted for the cross of Christ. Not even those who are circumcised obey the law, yet they want you to be circumcised that they may boast about your flesh. May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."
Gal. 6:12-14

I am right there with you Paul! 

I want to boast in Jesus. 
I want to be crucified to the world. 
I want to rebel against my current culture. 

Because let's face it - our culture has already gone downhill fast and apparently hasn't reached rock bottom yet because they still aren't standing on the Rock. But I chose the Rock many years ago so why do I still eye that slimy pit? 

A little earlier in the same chapter….

"The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers."
Gal. 6:8-10

And that was it.  

Sow to please the Spirit. 
Do not grow weary. 
Keep doing good.
And do not give up.
Do not give up.
Do not give up.


be DILIGENT.


1 comment:

  1. I cheated and skipped down to the bottom to find out what your word was! (I did go back and read the rest) I was immediately brought to a point of fighting back tears as the meaning of that word is something I've been struggling and wrestling with for some time. It also immediately brought to my mind a favourite verse:

    "But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." Heb 11:6 (KJV)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete